INGREDIENTS AND TOOLS NEEDED TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
Hot chocolate bombs are chocolate spheres filled with hot chocolate mix and lots of marshmallows! Pour steaming hot milk over the top and watch the chocolate melt away and release those marshmallows into your milk. So much fun and makes a great gift! Read on to find out how.
- Good quality chocolate in bar form. This is personal preference but we like to use any that is good for baking. It will be an easier melt. Lindt chocolate is a personal favorite.
- Food thermometer to keep track of the temp of your chocolate. Optional. My wife and I like to just taste test it as we go.
- Bennkai Swirl Chocolate Bomb Mold. This is the easiest mold to use if you’re not familiar with tempering chocolate. Fun difference with our mold compared to others is we added the “Swirl” to our mold. It just looks so much yummier.
- Silicone Spatula You don’t need one for silicone molds but it could come in handy when melting the chocolate. Optional.
- 1/4″ paintbrush for applying chocolate to silicone molds. Or get down and dirty and use your fingers
- Piping bag for sealing together the spheres.
- Hot chocolate mix of your choice.
- Mini marshmallows of your choice.
- Sprinkles to decorate the outside if you want.
- We also tried edible gold flakes. This was fun and looked great.
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
Here’s a rundown on how to make hot chocolate bombs!
- Chop chocolate (high-quality bar chocolate is best)
- Temper your chocolate (don’t worry, we’re doing this the easy way in the microwave and it only takes 5 minutes) *You can use oven and stove top as well however Microwave is probably the easiest way.
- Paint the chocolate into your silicone molds (two coats).
- Remove the chocolate spheres from the mold.
- Fill the molds with hot chocolate and marshmallows
- Seal the two pieces of chocolate together with more melted chocolate
- Decorate the seam with sprinkles!
WHAT CHOCOLATE IS BEST FOR MAKING HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS?
You want to make sure you’re using good quality chocolate that has cocoa butter in it and not too many other ingredients. Chocolate chips are also not going to work very well.
DO I HAVE TO TEMPER MY CHOCOLATE?
Tempering just means that you are controlling the heat of your chocolate while melting it to make sure it’s as strong as possible.
Tempering your chocolate is important. Un-tempered chocolate is soft, doesn’t have a shine, and has a problem holding its shape. It will melt at room temperature and just overall be a huge headache to work with.
WHAT MOLD IS BEST FOR MAKING HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS?
Not only because we are supporting our product but I would have to say the silicone mold option is better because it’s less messy, cheaper and foolproof compared to Acrylic options. If however, you are planning to make a lo then check out our Party Pack Deal 8 Pack of molds. That will give 16 spheres in total and we’re offering the party pack at a great price. Click here for 8 Pack.
My molds are 2 1/2″ in diameter and fit about 1 Tablespoon of the hot cocoa mix inside which is plenty when combined with the extra marshmallows and chocolate.
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS STEP-BY-STEP – (PLEASE NOTE, THIS IS PERSONAL PREFRENCE)
Step 1 – Chop 24 ounces of good quality semi-sweet chocolate as finely as you can with a knife.
Step 2 – Place the chocolate in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. NO MORE. Then stir with a spatula, moving the chocolate from the outside edges, to the center to evenly heat it.
Step 3 – Place the chocolate back into the microwave and heat for 15 seconds and stir like we did in the first step. Take the temp of your chocolate to make sure it’s not above 90ºF.
Step 4 – Repeat this process 2-5 more times until the chocolate is almost melted. Once almost melted, just continue stirring until the chocolate is fully melted from the residual heat from the bowl.
Step 5 – Pour some chocolate onto some parchment paper and pop it into the fridge for 5 minutes. If it looks shiny and snap, then you are good to go to the next step.
MOLDING THE CHOCOLATE SPHERES OUR MOLD
Step 1 – Clean your mold.
Step 2 – Paint a thin layer of chocolate using a paintbrush on the inside of the mold. Place into the fridge for 5 minutes to set.
Step 3 – Apply a second coat of chocolate, paying special attention to the edges. Place the chocolate mold into the fridge to set up for five minutes.
After 5 minutes your chocolate will easily release from the mold and are ready to be assembled!
ASSEMBLING THE CHOCOLATE BOMBS
Step 1 –Fill the chocolate about 3/4 of the way with your favorite hot chocolate mix and marshmallows.
Step 2 – Pipe some melted chocolate onto the top of the sphere.
Step 3 – Place the second half of the chocolate sphere on top and press gently together to seal.
HOW TO USE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
Place the hot chocolate bomb in the bottom of the mug and pour the hot milk on top. The hot cream opens up the bomb and all the marshmallows escape! So fun!
Hot chocolate bombs make a great gift! Enjoy!
& Sourced information from: https://sugargeekshow.com/about-liz-marek